An Old-Fashioned Country Fall!
Magical Door County!
Sometimes Fall memories are the best – maybe memories from our childhood, or more recent memories from trips to Door County. And new memories are made each year. Fall into the Season – in Door County! Tranquil, peaceful, colorful, unique. Steeped with history, rich with hues and fragrances, the Door County Peninsula is your destination of choice this Fall. This one's for you - see the overwhelming beauty of nature, in Door County - a unique spot in the Midwest: magnificent colors, crunching leaves, and the clean, vibrant air.
Come watch Mother Nature apply her paint to the unequaled beauty of Door County. Rekindle your fondest Fall memories, and ignite new ones this year: the bluest of skies and whitest of clouds; the scent of leaves; the vista of rich colors in bright yellows, reds, tangerines, oranges and browns; leaves lazily floating through the air from tree to ground; the bouquet of corn roasting on a grill; fish boils; the lush smell of Fall! It’s all in Door County. Give yourself something to remember this Fall – Fall into the Season – in Door County - compliments of Mother Nature!
Fall is Nature’s Magic Show and there’s no better stage than Door County Wisconsin!
The air is changing, the weather is cooler, and the holidays are just ahead. All the wonderful memories you have of Fall are in the air and in the landscapes of Door County waiting for you to stop on by, this Fall. The fragrances and sounds of Fall surround us at each and every turn. And where better to experience a piece of the Fall than in Door County – one of the best places in the entire Midwest to take in Fall! Are you, Falling for Door County?!
If you love the Fall, you will love it even more in Door County
October is the absolute best month for color-watching in Door County! Some of the trees (usually the very young ones) start changing in early September, and this - but the rest of them wait patiently until October. It is always difficult to predict, but mid-October is usually awesome!
There are two major Fall Festivals in Door County, Pumpkin Patch Festival in Egg Harbor, October 7th and 8th this year, and the Sister Bay Fall Festival, October 13th – 15th. Take a look at what is happening in conjunction with the festivals too (check out our Calendar of Events for full details).
For example the Pumpkin Patch in Egg Harbor coincides with
- WASHINGTON ISLAND CIDER PRESSING & FALL FESTIVAL on Washington Island, October 7th - 8th
- Townline Art Fair in Ephraim October 7th and 8th
Maybe take in a day of the Pumpkin Patch Festival in Egg Harbor, and a day on Washington Island – the ferry boat ride is a lot of fun (about 20 minutes)!
The two main Festivals, Pumpkin Patch and the Sister Bay Fall Festival do get quite crowded. Nonetheless, we still enjoy the Fall festivals – there is so much happening, and with great weather, there’s not a nicer place to be! While the crowds are big, the festivals are well run and lines for food, etc. move very quickly. We love this time of year in Door County! Watch our Fall Videos in the Video Gallery or on the Homepage Player!
At these fests, John Mayberry usually has his wagon hitched up with a team of horses ready to take you on a Fall adventure. Sometimes there’s face-painting for the kids, brat stands (excellent), and roasted corn on the cob (nothing better!), some of the best chili around, music, Pumpkin Beer (brewed and served at Shipwrecked – very good!), Pumpkin Spice coffee made by Door County Coffee & Tea Co ,silent auctions, and special items for sale at the shops. And live music! And the towns look like a Dickens Village - with corn stalks and pumpkins perched just about everywhere – cozy and inviting. Egg Harbor has a contest for the best display by a business, and the shopkeepers and restaurants get very creative and put their talent to work for some real-show stopper displays! So look around when you are strolling the town and notice the details!
In Door County you will see the awe of Autumn – so Fall into the Season in Door County! The sheer beauty of the scenery is breathtaking! Be sure to enjoy it – to stop a moment – and just look at what Mother Nature has done to this special place on Earth. The rich, Fall colors and smells fill your senses with delight! Walk through Ephraim Wetlands through the crunchy leaves, or through the parks, along the water - just perfect (see our video in the video section, under Nature)! Some of the best colors you will ever see are right here in Door County! Come on up and enjoy these Fests! We know if you are here in the fall, you, too will Fall into the Season in Door County! Snapchat, InstaGram, text your pics to friends!
Tip # 1: If you want to avoid some of the crowds during any of the festivals, then you can stay in another town – like for Pumpkin Patch
- Fish Creek at the White Gull, Thorp House, Homestead Suites, Hilltop Inn, By The Bay Motel, or Main Street Motel. Check out Hide Side Corner Store (watch video) for leather goods and home accessories.
- Ephraim stay at The Eagle Harbor Inn, the Bay Breeze Resort (super for everyone), the High Point Inn, the Somerset Inn, Ephraim Guest House, or Ephraim Shores Motel and Restaurant, Pine Grove Resort.
- Sister Bay at The Country House (wonderful for adults), Little Sister Resort, Open Hearth Lodge, Church Hill Inn, Coachlite Inn, Inn at Little Sister Hill, Scandinavian Lodge, Birchwood Lodge, Nordic Lodge, Inn at Little Sister Hill – lots of choices.
- You might even want to stay in Sturgeon Bay (a short 18 minute ride to Egg Harbor) at some of the most beautiful B&Bs in the Midwest, like the White Lace Inn, Chanticleer Guest House, more! If in town, make sure you stop in the Door County Candy for some gourmet popcorn and homemade fudge! Stop in Wilkins and Olander too for some wonderful women’s clothing and accessories (Pandora, SwitchFlops, Vera Bradley!).
- Sprinkled around, there are some other super resorts like Beachfront Inn, Kangaroo Lake Resort, Westwood Shores, Bridgeport, Journey’s End Motel & Cabins, and more.
- Stay on the “Quiet Side” at Blacksmith Inn on the Shore, Beachfront Inn at Baileys Harbor, Gordon Lodge
- Or Stay in Egg Harbor and enjoy the festivities up close! Walk to it all from Newport Resort, Egg Harbor Lodge, The Ashbrooke, Lull-Abi Inn. Check out The Shallows in Egg Harbor too!
And for Sister Bay Fall Festival, try all of the above and substitute Egg Harbor for Sister Bay, and try
- The Ashbrooke, the Cornerstone Suites, Newport Resort, The Shallows Resort on the water, Egg Harbor Lodge, the Lull-Abi Inn, the Alpine Resort, the Cape Cod Motel.
Call ahead! Of course – you will have to call any and all of these places for availability – they fill up pretty fast for Fall, but they are also a delight for a Winter Weekend getaway! We have reviewed each of these inns and really like them – read all about them!
If in town during a festival, try the street food, which is always great, and try some of our favorite restaurants there (see our Restaurant Review section).
Tip # 2: Also, another option, you can visit Door County on the weekends that do not include a festival – but the later you go, the more you will find restaurants closing up for the season (most close up after the Sister Bay Fall Fest), and a lot of the leaves down and waiting for Spring! But it is definitely quieter then, if solace is what you seek in your Door County Fall-Fun-For-All!
Tip # 3: Come up during the week anytime in October (especially the first 2 weeks) and you can avoid a lot the crowds. This is a wonderful idea if you want to take in the colors, relax, enjoy Door County without the larger crowds, and just, well, chill out in the crisp Fall air!
Pumpkin and Fall Item Round-up!
- Pumpkin and Spice coffees from Door County Coffee & Tea Company (ahh!) Even for the Keurig machine now!
- Pumpkin candles at many of the shops, including the Door County Candle Company in Sturgeon Bay. These have a wonderful fragrance and are a pleasant reminder that it’s Fall!
- Pumpkin face-painting at the fests sometimes!
- Pumpkin Patch sweatshirts and caps at the fest!
- Fall arts and crafts everywhere! From lawn ornaments to wall hangings!
- Fresh pumpkins at farm stands that you can buy and pumpkin pies!
- Pumpkin, Apple or Cherry Pies – check out Sweetie Pies, and Bea’s Ho-Made Products in Gills Rock!
- Some fall gelato at Double Delites in Egg Harbor! Please tell Julie that DoorCountyNavigator.com sent you!
Fabulous Fall! Without doubt, Door County is one of the best places in the Midwest to be in the Fall – for all ages! Definitely call ahead for reservations at any of the inns, B&Bs, hotels, motels or resorts that we have reviewed – and please tell them your found them on DoorCountyNavigator.com – that helps keep the site alive and well! You can read our reviews in our Review section for more ideas!