25 + Things to do in Door County
Catch Your Summer Breeze in Door County!
Summer is the season! In
! That’s right – and you don’t even have to have a boat! Call Peder at Sail Door County and you can go out on a divine cruise on the Sail Door County waters on his beautiful sailboat! Read our Review, then call to make a reservation! 920-495-SAIL (7245) Green Bay
This is the way to go!
by Trolley! Get a grand tour of Tour Door County on an old-fashioned trolley – check out Door County Trolley for lots of fun! The 45 minute tours are informative, fun, and show you show great vistas – bring the camera! They also have a General Tour, Lighthouse Tour a trolley “Ghost Tour, a new Premier Wine Tour and more! Please tell AJ that DoorCountyNavigator.com sent you! Door County
- MAKE YOUR OWN ART!
- Kayak! Take a Scenic Cruise! Learn to Sail! More! Check out the Ephraim Kayak Center, part of the Bay Shore Outdoor Store activities offered for a lot of summer fun!
Ephraim Kayak Center
Head out on a Catamaran!
Stiletto Sailing Cruises
at South Shore Pier
9993 Hwy 42
Scenic Boat Excursions
Sail Door County
Sister Bay Marina
12747 Hwy. 42 - Gills Rock
Fish Creek Scenic Boat Tours
Next to Fish Creek Marina, near Clark Park
Rent Pontoon Boats, Waverunners™, Sea Doos™ & More
South Shore Pier, Inc.
9993 Water St.
5. Go Para-Sailing!
This is terrific fun and a unique way to see Door County from the air! We did it last summer and we will do it again - this is fun! Call Wisconsin Water Wings and make a reservation
Wisconsin Water Wings
South Shore Pier
9993 Hwy 42
and tell them that DoorCountyNavigator.com sent you!
6. Spend a Day on County I! Yes – you can spend an entire fun day right on County I in
Stop in Door County Coffee and Tea for some of the best coffee and light lunches around! You can purchase whole bean or ground in up to 75 varieties! And, you can have a nice much in the café!
5773 Hwy 42
Stop in Pet Expressions for that pet lover in your or that special friend. Hundreds of items from cups to towels, shirts and more with every kind of pet you can think of – very cool shop! It is also attached to a General Store – lots of interesting goodies! This is a fantastic store!
9922 Water St
Visit Door Peninsula Winery and have your own wine tasting!
Door Peninsula Winery
5806 Hwy 42
Buy the best candles and accessories money can buy at:
Door County Candle Company
5789 Highway 42
Carlsville, WI 54235
Then head east on County I and go to Simon Creek Vineyard & Winery – fabulous!
Simon Creek Vineyard & Winery
5896 Bochek Road
7. Ridges Sanctuary!(Nature sanctuary) Hwy 57, N - 1/2 mile N. of Baileys Harbor A beautiful nature preserve formed by the lake waters. No cars here, just walking. A must see. Take the camera! Beautiful! See our Ridges Sanctuary Video in our Door County Video Gallery under Nature & Historic Sites.
8. Nature Walks and
- The State Parks
, Fish Creek: 920-868-3258. The largest (3776 acres) of the State Parks in Peninsula State Park . Golf, nature trails, bicycle, hike, camp! Our favorite! Door County Newport State Park, 475 County HwyNP, : 920-854-2500. 2400-acre wilderness park. With sandy beaches, and lots of Ellison Bay Lake Michiganshoreline. Nice park! Potawatomi State Park, 3740 Park Dr., : 920-746-2890. Camping, hiking, boating, guided hikes. Sturgeon Bay Whitefish Dunes State Park, 3701 Clark Lake Rd., : 920-823-2400. There are original Native American villages within this park (they are actually listed on the National Register of Historic Places). And this park is right near Cave Point, which is a must see! Great half-day outing! Sturgeon Bay . Rock Island State Park Washington Island: 920-847-2235. This is remote! Take a boat FROM Washington Island to . There are about 40 or so family-type campsites. Hike, swim. Rock Island
If you want State Park Camping information, click this Camping link!
- Peninsula Players Theater: W4351 Peninsula Players Road, Fish Creek: 920-868-3287. The oldest resident summer theater in the U.S. This is magnificent! If you have never been to a production here, you must go. The outdoor theater is covered so you are protected from the elements, but the open-air feeling is great when the sides are open! Comfortable seats too. Get to the theater early, before sunset, get a drink at their outdoor bar, and watch one of the most gorgeous sunsets you have seen, from one of the greatest spots to watch in Door County. And the productions are always fabulous. This is one super experience all around. Do it! Check their schedule (starts around third week in June through October)
- American Folklore Theatre – Fish Creek: 920-854-6117. Very nice open-air theater in Peninsula State Park. Mid-June through September. Take in a show at this musical theater under the stars – you’ll love it. Tell them we sent you!
- TAP: Third Avenue Playhouse always has something good on “TAP!” Check their schedule. Indoors, staged performances.
- Birchcreek Music Performance, Egg Harbor: 06/18/14 to 08/09/14. Wonderful music from steel drums to swing!
- Door Community Auditorium – lots happening here! Check their schedule.
- Door Shakespeare – more great theater right near Baileys Harbor!
10. Music In the Parks: The towns all publish their schedule of music in the parks. Check our Calendar of Events too for more information. Here are some of our favorites: you must go to at least one of these – they are so relaxing and so much fun for all!
- Sturgeon Bay - Wednesdays: "Harmony by the Bay", every Wednesday like 7-9PM
- MONDAY EVENINGS IN EPHRAIM Evenings in Ephraim, free Monday concerts at Harborside Park, 6PM - 8PM, June 16 – Aug 25th
- Fish Creek – Tuesdays, 2:30- 4:30PM, June 17 – August 19th
- Sister Bay – Wednesdays 3PM, mid-June – mid-August
- Egg Harbor – Thursdays, 5PM, June 19 – August 28
- Baileys Harbor: Lots of times and dates: Check Schedule!
11. Horse-Back Riding – There are some beautiful trails in
5712 Howard Lane
Field Wood Farm Ltd.
12. Biking Bike your way around Door County! Always be careful – bike Peninsula State Park on state of the art bikes from
Nor-Door Sport & Cyclery
4007 Hwy. 42
Edge of Park, Inc. Bike & Moped Rental
P.O. Box 188 at the Park Entrance Rd.
Island Clipper Bike Rentals
12731 Hwy. 42,
13. Mini-Golfing -There are several places to mini-golf – here’s what we think for each!
Egg Harbor Fun Park
7340 Hwy 42
This is a mini-golf, arcade and restaurant that opened in June 2001. They added a state-of-the-art go-karting course, gem mining for kids, zip-lining, batting cages and more! Awesome! We mini-golfed here many times – love it!. They have a huge arcade room which also has redemption games (save tickets to win prizes), and a water fight set up outside, great pizzas, ice cream and more! Great place! Tell the folks we sent you please!!
Pirate’s Cove Adventure Golf
This looks spectacular from the road – huge waterfalls, a pirate’s theme with a sunken ship in the lagoon and more! Pirate lore, some pirate facts, and fun golfing! Great place! Mention DoorCountyNavigator.com!
Red Putter Mini-Golf
10404 Water St
14. Charter Fishing – Try these charter companies for starters. See our Activities section for more.
Andy’s Silver Strike Charter Fishing
At the Baileys Harbor Municipal Marina
Hooked Up Sportfishing Charters
6512 County C
Angler Refuge Fishing Charter
520 E. Vine Court
Captain Paul's Charter Fishing
921 Cottage Rd.
ChaDawidiuk's Fishing Team
848 South 16th Ct.rter
Eagle Harbor Charters
P.O. Box 187
Elite Fishing Charters, LLC
Quarter Deck Marina
Fox 1 Charters
435 N. Geneva Ave
J-E Fishing Enterprises
1229 Georgia St
Charter Fishing Guide Service
Lynn A Charter Fishing
6831 Edgewood Ct.
May's Guide Service
Reel Action Sport Fishing Charters
1802 Morning View Road
Stone Wing Charters
P.O. Box 37
Wacky Walleye Guide Service
3798 Sand Bay Point Rd
15. Rent A Boat! From pontoon boats or kayaks to sail boats, rent them all in
Ephraim Kayak Center
Nicolet Beach Rentals
On the Beach in
16. Washington Island - Go There! Stay There! Ferry Boat – Go for the day, or stay! Fun, 20-minute ferry boat ride that you can take from Gills Rock (passengers only, with bikes ok) or from Northport with your car. The ferry boat ride is great fun – you cruise by the islands, Death’s Door, shipwrecks and more. You owe it to yourself to do it! Or stay a night or two on Washington Island!
17. Fine Dining: (also visit our Dining Guide at www.DoorCountyDinining.com)
□ Alexander's - now in Fish Creek- wonderful food, great décor!
□ The Waterfront – fabulous dinners, great wine list! Tell JJ or Kris we sent you! This chef is talented!
□ Harbor Fish Market & Grille – wonderful, with outdoor waterfront dining! Tell Carl we sent you!
□ White Gull Inn – on non-fish boil nights, enjoy candlelight dinners!
□ Galileo’s Italian Steakhouse in Egg Harbor – love it!
18. Swimming – swim in or swim out! Go to the YMCAs (Fish Creek and
YMCA – Northern Center
or try some of the beaches (NOTE: beach conditions with the Door County Visitor Bureau) at
- Fish Creek – right in downtown Fish Creek at the park
Egg Harbor– around back on Hwy G past Shipwrecked and – follow the signs Harbor Park Murphy Parkin Egg Harbor Ephraim Beachin Ephraim (see our September Sundown video filmed at !) Ephraim Beach Whitefish Dunes State Parkin Sturgeon Bay
19. Door County Fair! July 30th – August 3rd The Fairgrounds are very nicely kept, and this is a fun event especially for kids — there are lots of barns and sheds to see all kinds of interesting things, crafts, animals, and of course rides on the midway! Worth the trip for an old-fashioned county fair! Lots of fun for all! http://www.doorcounty.org/fair/
20. Perseid Meteor Showers – August 12th! This is a once a year phenomenon as the Earth passes through the Perseid meteor belt. You will have to check local listings here for any events. This is supposed to be spectacular! Those who have seen them have been awe-struck! 50 meteors in an hour — how can you miss them?! We think the northeast end of the peninsula (near the Northport Ferry dock, or
21. Aurora Beaurealis – if you can ever catch this “phenomenal” show in
22. Take a Carriage Ride! See Ephraim at night on a romantic carriage ride for 10, 20 or 30 minutes (check with John for price). John Mayberry runs a wonderful carriage, and as you clip-clop through historic Ephraim under the moonlight, well, ahhh – it’s just one of the nicest things to do! So. . .do it! Check out John’s site at Mayberry’s Carriages and Sleigh! And tell him that we sent you on the carriage ride of your life!
24. Town Festivals:Lots of them! See our Calendar for full details. Fyr Bal, 4th of July, lots more!
25. Wine Tour! Tell them sent you! This is great fun and here are some of our favorite wineries to tour!
Door Peninsula Winery
5806 Hwy 42
Simon Creek Vineyard & Winery
5896 Bochek Road
BONUS THINGS TO DO!
28. Historical Walking Tours and Lighthouse Tours! This is a great way to learn more about the towns! Check with the towns to see if and when they have these scheduled. Sometimes, there are self-guided tours. For Lighthouse Tours, call Claire at Door County Lighthouse Inn - she knows everything and has tour info. 920-868-9088
29. Bring the Kids (of all ages!) THE Farm, near
4285 Hwy 57
(4 Miles North of Sturgeon Bay)
30. Golf Door County!! There are 11 courses in Door County for you to choose from, and some of them are just spectacular! Try some of our favorites:
Alpine Golf Course (36 holes) – awesome panoramas!
Hwy. 42, Fish Creek
Fish Creek, at north entrance to
Peninsula State Park
31. Go Gallery Hopping!