There are lots of things to do in
Put some Spring in your step – up here in Door County! Springtime is Quiet-time on the
1. Enjoy the quiet times, and check out what is happening at Door Community Auditorium in Fish Creek!
2. Take a Door County Trolley Tour!Definitely check out seeing
3. VISIT THE
This is a wonderful museum located in
q Visit Jacksonport and
q Drive north from
q Take a tour through the center of the peninsula on
q And, if you are in Egg Harbor and want to head north of Fish Creek, head East on E, then North on A (left at PC Junction and Pen Pub) – you will come out north of Fish Creek – take a right on Hwy 42 and continue north to Ephraim!
q From Egg Harbor, go East on County T (towards Valmy). Take it to Elm, and take a right, then another quick right on Hillside, and a quick left on Lost Lake Road (heading south – and yes, there’s a lake in there!). Nice old barns, open fields, shacks….ahh! Get lost! Take a left on
q Also from Egg Harbor, turn down towards the water right at Greens n Grains and head north on White Cliff road which will put you back on Hwy 42 at Juddville (near Villagio's).
q From Egg Harbor head east on County E all the way to Baileys Harbor – passing Coyote Road House (a classic) and crossing the causeway across Kangaroo Lake.
5. DOOR COUNTY FESTIVAL OF BLOSSOMS
Dates of event: 04/14 to 06/15/14 County-wide celebration of spring, featuring blossoming daffodils, wildflowers & blossoming cherry and apple orchards. Garden and wildflower hikes, trolley and boat tours, arts and crafts, and lighthouse walks. There are community celebrations every weekend. Sister Bay has an event, Jacksonport has a Maifest (5/24 - 5/25), and there's the 7th Annual Half Marathon May 3rd. Check our Calendar of Events!
6. ANNUAL DOOR COUNTY LIGHTHOUSE FESTIVAL
Dates of Event 6/13/2014 - 6/15/2014
Festival-goaers can choose from 11 different land or water tours. Check the Door County Maritime Museum in Sturgeon Bay for all the details. The lighthouses in Door County are magnificent to see, especially Cana Island (one of the most photographed features of Door County) and Eagle Bluff (in Peninsula State Park). You can try to tour the lighthouses on your own, or there are organized excursions, even by boat, to take in many of these beautiful lighthouses that helped guide many a ship through tough and rough waters. Even if you miss this weekend, be sure to schedule some time to visit a few of
7. Stay at a wonderful B&B,
Some of our highly recommended ones include (please make sure to tell them you saw them on DoorCountyNavigator.com - that helps keep the site fresh and viable!). Read our in-person Reviews of all of these places and find exactly what you are looking for! And please, please tell them you found them on DoorCountyNavigator.com! We’re finding great places for you! We have been to and reviewed all of these places!
- The White Lace Inn in
Sturgeon Bay: Dennis or Bonnie at 920-743-1105 (Winner of DoorCountyNavigator.com’s User’s Choice Award for Best B&B in , 2003!) Door County
- Reynolds House: Jan or Stan at 920-746-9771
- The Chanticleer Guest House: Darrin or Bryon: 920-746-0334
- Cornerstone Suites: talk to Leif: 888-495-3005,
- The Feathered Star (ALLOWS PETS): Sandy, 1-877-743-4066, 920-743-4066
q Fish Creek
- The White Gull Inn: Andy or Jan at 920-868-3517
- Thorp House: Christine at 920-868-2444
- The Ephraim Inn: Tim at 920-854-4515
- Eagle Harbor Inn: call Natalie: 800-324-5427
- Village Green Lodge: Sue & Steve: 1-888-471-8277
- Blacksmith Inn on the Shore: Joan or Bryon: 800-769-8619
Other really nice places to stay are: Check re-openings for Spring (where applicable) directly with Inn. See videos of many of these places in our Trusted Reviews or Video Gallery!
- Country House Resort: 800-424-0041 – See Their Video on our Homepage
- Scandinavian Lodge: 920-854-7123, 888-645-6343. Video too!
- Birchwood Lodge: 866-854-7195. Video too!
: 920-854-7287 800-392-3921 Pheasant Park
- Little Sister Resort: 920-854-4013. Video too!
- Coachlite Inn: 920-854-5503
- Nordic Lodge: 920-854-5432
- Open Hearth Lodge: 920-854-4890
Innat Little Sister Hill:800-768-6317
- Church Hill Inn: 920-854-4885
q Egg Harbor
- The Landmark: call 800-273-7877
- The Ashbrooke: talk with Fred: 920-868-3113
- The Alpine Resort : 920-868-3000
- The Shallows: 920-868-3458 - See Video on our Homepage!
- Egg Harbor Lodge: 920-868-3115
Resort: 920-868-9900, 800-468-6160. Newport
- Lull-Abi Inn: 920-868-3135
- Cape Cod Motel: 920-868-3271 OR 1-877-590-0286
- Ephraim Shores Motel and Restaurant: 920-854-2371
- Bay Breeze Resort: 920-854-9066
- Harbor View Resort: 920-854-2425.
- Somerset Inn and Suites: 920-854-1819
- Park’s Edge Lakeshore Homes & Cottages: 414-481-2654
Shoresin : 920-746-4057 Sturgeon Bay
- Bridgeport in Sturgeon Bay: 920-746-9919
- Bay Shore Inn – call Joe and the gang at 800-556-4551
q Baileys Harbor
Baileys HarborYacht Club in : 920-839-2336 Baileys Harbor
- Kangaroo Lake Resort in Baileys Harbor: 920-839-2341
- Beachfront Inn at Baileys Harbor866-251-0750 OR 920-839-2345
q Fish Creek
Suites in Fish Creek: 800-686-6621 – See Video! Homestead
- By-The-Bay Motel in Fish Creek: Mary at 920-868-3456
- Main Street Motel in Fish Creek: Nedra at 920-868-2201
- The Hilltop Inn: Kelly: 888-868-3556
- Apple Creek Resort: 800-569-0059
q Washington Island
Findlay’s Holiday Inn (on Washington Island): call Jim: 800-522-5469
We have reviewed many more places too! So read the Trusted Reviews first! Be sure to call first for opening dates!
8. Cave Point! Must see! While you're in the outdoorsy mood, head over to Cave Point, another very much photographed site in
9. Restaurants! Well, you might want to dine out, and the restaurants for the most part are still on the Winter hour schedule. So here are some restaurants that will be open, mostly weekends, some from Thurs – Sun, some opening in early May.
q Alexander’s, Fish Creek – fine dining: 920-868-3532
q The Waterfront,
q Casey’s Inn Supper Club, Egg Harbor: 920-868-3038
q Hof Restaurant at Alpine Resort, (May – on) Egg Harbor: 920-868-3000
q Harbor Fish Market & Grille, Baileys Harbor: 920-839-9999
q Greenwood Supper Club, Fish Creek at Hwys A and F (open F - Sun) 920-839-2451
q The Cookery, Fish Creek - 920-868-2372
q Fred & Fuzzy’s Waterfront Bar and Grill: 920-854-6699 (check opening da, usually mid-May)
q Door County Coffee & Tea – café in Carlsville: 920-743-8808
800-366-7947 (we LOVE this place!)
q Coyote Roadhouse, Baileys Harbor at Kangaroo Lake: 920-839-9192
q Viking Grill in Ellison Bay: Say hi to Dan: 920-854-2998 – great place!
q Cooper's Corner in Fish Creek, call 920-868-COOP (2667)
If you are staying in a resort with kitchen facilities and want to dine in, then pick up some food at the wonderful Main Street Market in Egg Harbor, or some gourmet delights at Top Shelf Gourmet and Café in Sister Bay (Country Walk Shops), and a great natural food shop in Egg Harbor, Greens n Grains (and cafe too)!. All awesome places! Tell them we sent you!
Bay Shore Outfitters
655 Bay Shore Dr
Rent kayaks, canoes, and more. Sail, take lessons, paddleboat or hydrobike! Very cool!
11. Visit some bars and talk to the locals. Another good thing about Spring is that it is still slow enough where people have the time to chat and relax – this is a real luxury for all. Visit some local bars, and enjoy the conversation! Some good talking places:
q JJ.s/La Puerta in
q Casey's Inn in
q Husby's in
q Bayside Tavern in Fish Creek, right on Hwy 42: 920-868-3441 (very local, very cool, very good burgers too!) – one of our favorites!
q Shipwrecked in
q Karley’s Bar on Washington Island: 920-847-2655
q Coyote Roadhouse in Bailey's Harbor, right on
q Sister Bay Bowl, the bar section, right across from Husby's, 920-854-2841
q The Blue Ox in Bailey's Harbor, on Hwy 57, 920-839-2771
q AC Tap in Bailey's Harbor, between
12. Fishing! If you like fishing, well, you can fish in
q Middle of April: Lots of brown trout fishing going on not far from the Stone Quarry.
End of April: this is rainbow, brown and brook trout season! Catch like crazy all along the shore. Smelt and perch too!
Beginning of May: here come the bass, some walleye. Even the lakes internal to the peninsula (Kangaroo, Europe, and
End of May: walleye, small mouth bass, jumbo perch, and lake trout – all kinds of fish waiting for you!
NOTE: Check with some of our favorite Charter Fishing organizations for times when they might be heading out for the season – make your plans:
13. Plan a Family
14. SWIM!If you are not staying at an inn with an indoor pool, and you missed the Polar Bear Swim in Jacksonport on January 1st, try the YMCAs
1900 Michigan Street
- YMCA – Northern Center
3866 Gibraltar Rd
16. Hike! Hiking in
State Parks: they are beautiful year-round!
Or try Ridges Sanctuary (see video in Video Gallery) in Baileys Harbor: 8270 Hwy 57 – 920-839-2802
17. Museums/Galleries/Do-it-Yourself Art! Springtime is a great time to take in some of the local museums and galleries. This will get you started:
Maritime Museum Door County
120 N. Madison Ave
- Door County Historical Museum
18 N 4th Ave
920-743-5809 - This is a great little museum, with very friendly and knowledgeable folks!
- AMO Gallery
40 N. 3RD AVE.
Sturgeon Bay, WI 54235FAX 920-746 8719
PHONE 920-743 2259
Custom framing, great gallery of
and national artists Door County
- Hands On Art Studio
3655 Peninsula Players Road
(head west from Hwy 42, about 1 ¾ miles)
- Young at Heart Pottery Painting 7828 Hwy 42
(Main Street Shops)
Egg Harbor WI
18. Get Artistic!Take an art class, or do an art project on your own! Fun for all! Check into these cool places:
□ You can take any number of classes in art at the
Peninsula Art School
□ For the Do-It-Yourself Artist in us all! Check out Hands-On Art Studio where you can paint ceramics, glass, metal art, t-shirts! Fun projects for any age. Call them at 920-868-9311. Tell Cy that we sent you, please! Great place!
Hands On Art Studio
3655 Peninsula Players Road
(head west from Hwy 42, about 1 ¾ miles)
Young at Heart Pottery Painting
7828 Hwy 42
(Main Street Shops)
Egg Harbor WI
19. Search for your Dream Home!If you have always thought about owning your own home, land or cottage (even a business!) in
- Coldwell Banker - The Real Estate Group7734 Hwy 42 Egg Harbor 920-868-2002
- Century 21 Action Realty Group
4859 S. Cave Point Dr
Visit a Farm Market, Gourmet or Coffee Shop! There are so many farm markets in
- Door County Coffee and Tea Company! Great shop! And they roast and flavor their own coffee so you can buy many varieties (75) whole bean, or ground. And enjoy their café too! 5773 Hwy 42
- Door County Candy – home made gourmet popcorns (caramel, cashew, more) and home made fudge! Some of the best we have ever had!
12 N. 3rd Ave Sturgeon Bay WI
- Door County Deli at Liberty Square - Wine, cheeses, lots more!
7755 Hwy 42
- Double Delites - homemade gelato (Italian ice cream) - as soon as this place opens this spring, get in there!
7818 Hwy 42 (next to Main
- Dairy View Country Store – take a tour, and learn how a real dairy farm works!
- The Shops at Liberty Square7755 Hwy 42
Awesome shops! You will love it – tell them we sent you!
- ·Sweetie Pies
91106 State Rd42
AWESOME PIES! Tell Dave we sent you!
Dairy View Country Store
5169 County I
20. Luxuriate at a Spa!
Settlement Courtyard Inn and Lavender Spa
9126 State Rd 42
The Spa at Sacred Grounds
10453 Townline Rd
21. In May, The Skyway Drive-In Theatre opens for the season! You MUST make this part of your Door County vacation! This is just an awesome place that we love!
23. Mid – late May, head to the fun parks and enjoy mini-golf, go-karts and a whole lot more! Check out what’s around! Some of our favorites:
- Egg Harbor Fun Park in Egg Harbor – awesome mini-golf, go-carts, arcade, water wars, bounce zone, paint ball and more! Tell Donna and Lee that we sent you! Great place!
- Pirate’s Cove Adventure Golf in Sister Bay – what a fun course, with pirate lore on each hole, and huge waterfall!
24. Golf! We love hitting the 36 holes at Alpine Golf Course in Egg Harbor. Try to play the Blue in your mix of 18 – the 9th hole is spectacular!
25. Take a Trip to Washington Island – If you have never gone before, or haven’t for a while, take a nice day trip to Washington Island. The ferry boat ride is fun for all. Take your car with, from Northport. Passengers and bikes from Gills Rock.
There are many arts and craft shows, carriage rides, art classes and more happening this Spring. Check our Calendar Of Events for more details.