Historical Sites & Points of Interest in Door County
There are plenty of hsitorical sites in Door County Wisconsin - so plan on visiting some on your next trip to Door County and enjoy! It will be fun and you will see some beautiful things while learning more about Door County!
10049 Water Street
This is a restored country store, built in 1858 and which is on National Historic Register.
Art & Nature Center
Main & Jackson Harbor Rd.
Devoted to the history of Washington Island
Hwy 57, South
Cana Island Lighthouse
NE of Baileys Harbor
Built in 185 - follow signs to get there
Cave Point County Park
For Info: call Door County Parks & Recreation: 920-746-2914
Cave Point is a geological wonder with rocky limestone bluffs as high as 200 feet – part of the Niagara Escarpment – yes Niagara as in the falls.
7836 Egg Harbor Road
Built by Levi Thorp in 1871, Cupola House stands as a National Historic Landmark building in the heart of Egg Harbor.
Door County Historical Museum
18 N 4th Av
Dedicated to the history of the area
Door County Maritime Museum
120 N. Madison
Eagle Bluff Lighthouse In Peninsula State Park
It was built in 1868, and is on National Historic Register. Ephraim Monument Moravians landed in about 1853, and this honors and commemorates this.
Ellison Bluff County Park
- Ephraim Wetlands Preserve
9820 Water Street
At Anderson Dock on Hwy 42
Art gallery in building which is a national historic landmark.
- Historical Village at The Crossroads
Sturgeon Bay Wi
Historical Marker at Friends Church.
Old School House
Hwy. 42 & 57,
Built in 1866, it was the first schoolhouse in Northern Door County.
Jackson Harbor Maritime Museum
Washington Island Dedicated to history of the island's maritime industry.
Log Cabin of Asa Thorp
(Original) Founder's Square, Fish Creek, behind the shops Built in 1849, by the founder of Fish Creek 920-868-2316
Noble House Museum
Corner of Hwy 42/Spruce
Built in 1875, On National Register of Historic Homes
Old Rugged Cross
1913 Maple Ave.,
Pioneer School House
9998 Moravia St.,
Original 1869 schoolhouse
Portes des Mortes (Death's Door)
This is the body of water between Gills Rock and Washington Island. Very strong currents, which during storms took many ships to the bottom.
Near the Ridges & Bailey's Harbor (follow signs) Similar to lighthouses, these are guide lights for ships.
Ridges Sanctuary (Nature sanctuary)
Hwy 57, N - 1/2 mile N. of Baileys Harbor
A beautiful nature preserve formed by the lake waters No cars here, just walking.
- The Ridges on Washington Island
Jackson Harbor, NE corner of Washington Island.
Sturgeon Bay Ship Canal & Coastguard Station
Lighthouse Eastern foot of canal. Completed in 1882.
Thomas Goodletson House
Built in 1857, it is restored & furnished for the period. One of the first houses in Door County.
Washington Island Farm Museum
Jackson Harbor Rd.,
Washington Island Old farm equipment, log buildings.