Here you will find what changes have been taken place in Door County Wisconsin - with Door County news about inns, restaurants, activities, real estate, shopping and more. New restaurants, closings, enhancements to inns, new inns in Door County etc. You get the idea - Fresh Paint! Door County Wisconsin updates are here!
Door County is always on the move!
Enjoy Summer in Door County!
See new info about the Hillside Inn of Ephraim in the Ephraim section below,
And Edge of Park Bike & Moped Rental in Fish Creek!
Updates in Baileys Harbor!
Updates in Carlsville!
Updates in Ellison Bay section!
Updates in Ephraim!
Updates in Fish Creek!
Updates in Gills Rock!
Updates in Jacksonport section!
Updates in Sister Bay section!
Updates in Sturgeon Bay!
Updates in Washington Island!
Download our mobile app for your iphone/ipad, android phones
and tablets - FREE - and have all the info you need at your fingertips!
Fresh Brush Strokes, Baileys Harbor, Summer 2016
Restaurants making news
- The Sandpiper restaurant is located upstairs at Maxwelton Braes. New for 2016: they are serving lunch as well as breakfast and dinner. A new menu features soup, salads, sandwiches, burgers, and the Sandpiper walleye sandwich. Open Tuesday through Sunday at 7670 Hwy. 57.
- Also at Maxwelton Braes is Pasta Vino open Thursday through Saturday; there’s an early dining menu from 5 p.m. to 5:30 p.m.
- Chives, is a reportedly popular restaurant that opened in Baileys Harbor more than a year ago.
- Baileys Harbor Cornerstone Pub is the new name for the restaurant (formerly Weisgerber’s Cornerstone Pub) at 8123 Hwy. 57.
- Harbor Fish Market & Grille is open for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Tables overlook Lake Michigan from this downtown Baileys Harbor restaurant, 8080 Hwy. 57. A traditional New England lobster boil is available Wednesday, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday.
- The Farmers Market runs on Sundays from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. through Sept. 25 and the first three Sundays in December at the Baileys Harbor Town Hall.
- Gordon Lodge,Gordon Lodge, 1420 Pine Dr., has been under new ownership for a few years now, and updates have taken place. This sprawling resort affords water views as it lies between North Bay and Lake Michigan. People may choose from a variety of accommodations (in the lodge or private cabins) all set on 130 acres. Resort amenities include complimentary boats, fishing poles and bikes for guests. Top Deck Restaurant & Bar, with water views, is a go-to place for guests and other Door County travelers. Trusted Review.
- Journey’s End Motel & Cabins, 8271 Journey End Lane, promotes family-friendly accommodations that are open year-round. A variety of styles are available: three log cabins, nine motel units, and a three-bedroom house.
- Baileys 57 is the name of the gas station and convenience store formerly known as 57 Depot in Baileys Harbor.
- Door County Brewing Company opened in 2014 at 2434 Cty. Rd. F, Baileys Harbor. They brew several of their own beers.
- Maxwelton Braes has a new owner (effective in 2015). The name has not changed.
Newer galleries in Baileys Harbor
- Bazyli Studio Wearable Art, 2551 Ahrens Rd.
- Chez Cheryl Art Space, 8360 High Plateau Rd., off Cty. EE
- Eden North Gallery, 8099 Hwy. 57
Arts and education updates
- As part of its 2016 season, Door Shakespeare will perform William Shakespeare’s Julius Caesar and A Midsummer Night’s Dream from June 29 through Aug. 20. Performances take place in the garden at Bjorklunden in Baileys Harbor. Door Shakespeare is a professional theatre employing members of the Actors Equity Association. The Door County-based organization offers opportunities for audiences to intimately experience Shakespeare’s classics and comedies.
- Bjorklunden has openings in many of the facility’s summer seminar series. Sponsored by Lawrence University, series presenters and topics include Terry Moran, a 1982 graduate of Lawrence and chief foreign correspondent for ABC Ness; and Dale Duesing, a 1967 alum and renowned opera singer and actor.
- Door County Midsummer’s Music Festival will perform eight of its concerts this summer at Bjorklunden. The entire concert season will include nine programs in 33 concerts over seven weeks.
Fresh Brush Strokes, Carlsville, 2016
(please note: some of these businesses may actually have a Sturgeon Bay or Egg Harbor mailing address).
New business near Carlsville
- J.P. Express BP, a gas station and convenience store, opened in spring 2016 at the corner of Hwy. 42 and Monument Point Rd. It’s open 24/7.
Closed business/expanding distillery
- Bistro 42 restaurant close to make room for an expansion of Door County Distillery, owned by the family operating Door Peninsula Winery. The distillery, the first in Door County to produce vodka, gin and fruit-infused vodka, currently promotes Java Infusion and Barrel Finished Gin, among many other offerings. At the winery, Peninsula Pink is a new blush companion to Peninsula Red and Peninsula White.
Tours of the winery are offered on hour run from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. daily.
Discover Carlsville in 2016
Carlsville is an area nestled along Hwy. 42, midway between Sturgeon Bay and Egg Harbor. Businesses located in the Carlsville area invite people to learn more about Carlsville and what they offer at Carlsville Day, set for Saturday, July 30. Tours of a winery and dairy farm, food, live music, kids’ games, arts and crafts, a Wild West reenactment, and a parade are among the day-long activities.
New offers, specials at Carlsville businesses
- Door County Coffee and Tea is offering for a limited time spring and summer flavors in bright packages. Through June find coconut crush, chocolate meltdown, caramel latte, and more unique coffee flavors. Coming soon is a new light coffee flavor named Sunrise in Door County. The 2016 Recipe contest is in full swing. Winner gets free coffee for a year.
- Door County Candle Company, is the only place in Door County where candles are made on site. You may actually see them being made during a visit here. People can dip their own candles, too. Soy and traditional candles in a variety of sizes and scents—from fresh to warm and cozy aromas--are here for the sniffing.
- Gifts for pets and pet lovers are available at Pet Expressions and the Door County General Store. Many items recognize specific dog and cat breeds, too.
- Nearby, the Roadhouse of Downtown Carlsville is promoting “Door County’s best rack of ribs,” as well as charbroiled burgers, broasted chicken, and more. It’s open Wednesday through Sunday.
- Dairy View Country Store says it is offering an ever-changing variety of premium homemade ice cream.
Fresh brush strokes, Egg Harbor Summer 2016
Businesses in the news
- At Liberty Square, 7722 Hwy. 42, Galileo’s Italian Restaurant celebrates its third season. The baked lasagna and baked seafood alfredo are favorites of customers and staff. Liberty Square is also home to boutiques, Anchor Pub, the Bistro Bar and Grille, and more shopping and dining options.
- Brilliant Stranger Ecotique is located in downtown Egg Harbor in the purple building (also housing Greens n Grains and SpaVerde), 7821 Hwy. 42.
- Door Country Trolley has a new trolley station at 8030 Hwy. 42. Nine themed trolley tours are offered daily, and there’s a gift shop and coffee and espresso bar there, too.
- Plans are underway for a new $3.57 million, 9,200 square foot library and community building, which may open in 2017.
- Forever Grateful Resale Boutique, 6713 Hwy. 42, recently opened. Also in the space is the art and studio of Brian Pier, an oil painter.
- Grumpy’s is a new place selling ice cream, popcorn, root beer and more from its location at 7849 Hwy. 42.
- Dancin’ on the Door offers instruction in dance and fitness for all ages from its location at 4614 Harbor School Rd.
- Door County Interiors & Design, 7266 Hwy. 42, has sales throughout the years on services such as flooring, window treatments and upholstery items. The spacious showroom is artfully designed with furnishings and accessories reflecting a variety of styles, brands, and price points. Staff are educational and welcoming.
- Cappaert Contemporary Gallery is a new gallery at 7901 Hwy. 42 (in the restored log home formerly housing Dovetail Gallery). Now, it features contemporary paintings by Ginnie Cappaert and more art from artists she has met on her travels.
- Woodwalk Gallery, 6746 Cty. Rd G, has new owners: Andrew Seefeldt and his wife, Jillaine Burton, purchased the property from Margaret Lockwood and Allin Walker, who established Margaret Lockwood Gallery in Sturgeon Bay.
- Angela Lensch Gallery is open at 7653 Hwy. 42
- Everlasting Doodle is open at 6228 Hwy. 42
Restaurants, desserts, coffee shops in the news
- Trio Restaurant is closed due to the owners’ retirement.
- Double Delites, 7818 Hwy. 42, is a not-to-be-missed stop in Egg Harbor. They make gelato (Italian ice cream) on the premises here, and serve it up on cones or in cups. So many flavors made possible by ingredients imported from Italy. People can get gelato samples ahead of an order. So you can try flavors such as hazelnut, cinnamon, one of the nine varieties of chocolate. Flavors available daily vary. Also here is gourmet popcorn made by the owner, espresso, gifts, and more.
- Buttercups Coffee is located in the Main Street Shops, 7828 Hwy. 42.
- Carrington Pub & Grill, 7643 Hillside Rd., located at the Landmark Resort offers a Friday Fish Fry, signature dish walleye, a kid’s men, gluten-free options, and more. Karaoke each Saturday night starting at 9 p.m.
- Parador, 7829 Hwy. 42, offers tapas and sangria.
- Casey’s BBQ & Smokehouse, 7855 Hwy. 42 features southern style BBQ right in Door County.
Activities in Egg Harbor
- Egg Harbor Fun Park, 7340 Hwy. 42, is a destination point in Egg Harbor for “putt putt” (miniature golfing) with the family as well as go karting, batting practice, and more.
- Alpine Golf Course, located on the Alpine Resort property on Hwy. G, offers captivating views from many of the 18 holes.
Lodging options abound
Egg Harbor is a wonderful location for A Door County stay. Many places afford views of Green Bay waters including
- the Alpine Resort, 7715 Alpine Rd. (Hwy. G); Egg Harbor Lodge,7965 Hwy. 42;,
- Shallows Resort, 7353 Horseshoe Bay Rd.;
- and Landmark Resort, 4929 Landmark Dr.t.
Highway 42 in Egg Harbor is also has Door County Confectionery, and an artisan cheese shop, Schoolhouse Artisan Cheese.
Head into Double Delites for authentic Italian gelato – ice cream at its best. This is fantastic – you will want to stop here often, as we have done already! About 12 flavors made fresh everyday, and displayed in an authentic European case! And Julie makes gourmet popcorns too. Tell them we sent you! Visit their website – they have shipping options too. Try their desert affagato - gelato drowned is espresso coffee - it is awesome!
Great place! The Main Street Market is one of our favorite food and wine shops in all of Door County! This shop is loaded with wonderful things – stop in and tell them that DoorCountyNavigator.com sent you! They have about 1,000 labels in their wine department – you will certainly fine a bottle of wine that meets your taste. This is one fantasitc place.
Fresh brush for Ellison Bay May 2016
Check out these relatively new galleries that have set up shop in Ellison Bay:
- Sutra Gallery (Fine Art & Textiles from India), 12044 Hwy. 42
- Lynn’s Pottery, 12030 Garrett Bay Rd.
- Simmons Studio/Gallery, 1375 Cty. ZZ
On the culinary front:
- Brew Coffeehouse is open at 12002 Hwy. 42. Specialty drinks, treats, and hot coffee, of course, are promoted.
- The Fireside is a new restaurant (second year) in the Hillside Inn, 11934 Hwy. 42. Also, Pasta Vino moved to Baileys Harbor at Maxwelton Braes.
- Of course, you always have to go back to the place that is renowned for the first Door County fish boil: the Viking Grill, now open for the season in downtown Ellison Bay. The fish boils start at 5 p.m. Friday.
- The Wickman House is one of Door County’s newest restaurants. Located at 11976 Mink River Rd. (former home of T. Ashwell), Wickman House says it serves a mix of surf and turf entrees. And the menu is inspired by sustainable agriculture.
- Mink River Basin, downtown Ellison Bay, is promoting 34+ beers on tap as well as a menu ranging from pizza to chicken and ribs.
- Also:Have you tried ALL the adventures offered by the Door County Adventure Center, based at Rowleys Bay Resort, 1041 Cty. Rd. ZZ? From here you can rent a kayak, paddle board, or head to a zipline.
As to overnight accommodations:
Stay at the Parkside Inn - great inn run by great folks! Tell Andy that Dan from DoorCountyNavigator.com says, “Hi!” In fact, we appreciate it when you spread the word to all businesses about DoorCountyNavigator.com’s “Fresh Paint” updates about the Peninsula. Thank you!
Fresh brush strokes Ephraim Summer 2016
Inns in the news
- The Hillside Inn of Ephraim, considered one of the most iconic sites in Door County, reopened early in 2016. Five suites are available in the historic inn, where the new owner also has a luxury real estate office and welcomes groups for weddings and more.
- Eagle Harbor Inn, offering B&B accommodations and suites, keeps getting better. It recently announced acquiring new tall “Hilton” mattresses and box springs. Also, new carpeting was installed in all suite buildings, and kitchen cabinets of suites have been restained. New furnishings include new bedside lamps (USB plug-equipped) in all rooms.
- Ephraim Inn was reconstructed in 2015 after fire affected the business in December 2013.
Ephraim dry no more & other restaurant notes
- Voters n Ephraim approved referendums in spring 2016 to allow sale of beer and wine at Ephraim restaurants. The Village board is reportedly working on a process for issuing alcohol licenses to businesses.
- Second Story Restaurant will not reopen for the 2016 season.
This is Ephraim; you gotta get on the water
- They are ready for summer at the Ephraim Kayak Center, which opened May 27, 2016, at 9993 Water St. You can rent kayaks by the hour or join a tour such as the Morning Light tour (great way and time to see Ephraim’s Eagle Harbor) and the Sunset Tour.
- South Shore Pier, Inc. rents pontoon boats, WaveRunners, paddleboats at 9993 Water St. (across from Wilson’s Restaurant) in Ephraim. This family-owned business has been here a while, but they just brought in a fresh fleet of WaveRunners in 2013.
- People can also sail on a catamaran with Stiletto Sailing Cruises, or enjoy a bird’s-eye view of Door Country by parasailing with Wisconsin Water Wings.
Check out these new Ephraim galleries
- Artzy Studio, 10329 N. Water St. (How. 42)
- Door County Rock and Gem, 10421 Hwy. 42 (next so Summer Kitchen)
- Rebmann Gallery (9767 Hwy. 42 (they ask people call for hours: 920/854-9636
Also, The Spa at Sacred Grounds was recently recognized for having the best hot stone massage. They offer that treatment and many others for the face and body. Get the royal spa treatment at The Spa at Sacred Grounds! Wonderful for the body and soul – tell them we sent you!
Fresh brush, Fish Creek Summer 2016
New at Peninsula State Park
In Peninsula Park, Eagle Tower is reportedly closed due to concerns about the structure’s safety. Following work that it needs, a reopening of the structure in 2017 has been discussed by officials.
Fish Creek inns in the news
Here are some news notes posted or shared with DoorCountyNavigator.com by inns:
The Hilltop Inn in Fish Creek reports lots of updates -they keep getting better! In 2016 they got all new:
- sleeper sofas
- dining room chairs
- pictures on the wall
- lamps & shades
Along with the new carpet and bedding that was done lin 2015 - this place keeps on getting better and better! We highly recommend it!
- Frontier Wilderness Campground is now renting golf cars. The campground is on the trolley route for the June 25, 2016, Door County Wine Fest.
- Settlement Courtyard Inn & Lavender says updates to the lodge keep it within an Old-World style. They invite people to check-out different accommodation colors and styles.
- White Gull Inn was named top 15 hotel in the Midwest by Conde Nast Traveler Readers’ Choice participants.
- A Peninsula Park-View was selected as a feature resort in Fish Creek in fall 2015.
Newer galleries in Fish Creek
- 2forU Design & Gallery, 4140 Bluff Lane in Fred’s Backyard
- Art of Door County, 4199 Main St.
- Link Gallery, 3942 Hwy. 42
- Pereira’s Wood Works, Top of the Hill Shops, A-15
Performing arts updates
- American Folklore Theater is now known as Northern Sky Theater. Performances run from June 15 to Aug. 27 in Peninsula State Park. The first show is “Doctor! Doctor” a musical about a retiring doctor who recruits his nephew to a small town.
- Peninsula Players, Fish Creek, will open its 81st season June 14 with the Wisconsin premier of Chapetti, a gentle and funny romance written by Christian O’Reilly.
Restaurant and coffee shop news
- Craic Coffee and Shop is open in Founder’s Square (Craic is Irish slang for good times).
- Juniper’s Gin Joint is a new restaurant in downtown Fish Creek overlooking Main Street. They feature fine American cuisine in an elegant atmosphere. Second yesar as Juniper's - was Coopers Corner.
- Fish Creek Grill (formerly Arroyo Bay Grill) promotes Door County’s most authentic Mexican food, homemade pizza, breakfast and more.
- The Cookery is open daily, serving breakfast, lunch and dinner. There’s a wine bar, too, offering live music (check the schedule). And the lovely room affords views of the water.
- Pelletier’s promotes breakfast, lunch and nightly fish boils in Founder’s Square, Fish Creek.
- Need other dining options in Fish Creek? How about The White Gull Inn, Mr. Helsinki, Bayside Tavern, The English Inn, Alexander’s, Gibraltar Grill, Fish Creek Grill, Julie's Park Cafe, Wild Tomato, Summertime, to name just a few we have tried and most of which we have reviewed.
- Weber’s promotes Fresh Produce-brand sportswear for adults and children in Sky-Lite Shops off Main Street.
- Wink Swimwear & Clothing, located in Bayside Alley Shops on the water side, has Jantzen, Gottex, Speedo, La Blanca, Ralph Lauren, and more brands.
- Wilkins & Olander, Founders Square, has a selection of updated traditional sportswear. Lines include Bernie Mev, Karen Kane, Miraclebody. Tell the associates DoorCountyNavigator.com sent you shopping. Trusted Review & Video!
- Hideside Corner Store, downtown Fish Creek, has leather garments, accessories, shoes, wallets, handbags, belts, as well as home furnishings, pottery, and more. We shop here often!
A Cut Above is the new hair salon at Top of the Hill Shops.
Some activity updates in Fish Creek include
- Peninsula Golf Course calls the course “Door County’s Hidden Gem.” It offers an 18-hole course (affording views of Ephraim and the water) , short course, golf instruction, restaurants, and more.
- Fish Creek Scenic Boat Tours is promoting this season Sunset Live Music Cruises, Millionaire Row West Island Cruises, and a Peninsula State Park and Ephraim Cruise. The 69-passenger boat (partially covered) leaves from Fish Creek Marina, downtown Fish Creek.
Fresh Brush Strokes, Gills Rock Summer 2016
- Gills Rock Coffee, 12625 Hwy. 42, is a place for art—not just coffee. The former attached Char’s Gallery Ten 10 closed in 2013, when the owners made that gallery space a private home. But art can still be found at Gills Rock Coffee.
- Hedgehog Gifts, 12745 Hwy. 42
- Simply Scandinavian, 12743 Hwy. 42
- Door County Maritime Museum & Lighthouse Preservation Society has a lot of nautical inspired art and history to enjoy from its satellite location in Gills Rock, 12724 Wisconsin Bay Rd.
- Harbor Light Inn – Gills Rock, 12666 Hwy. 42, and (formerly Harbor View Inn) is under new management and open May 1 to Nov. 1. It promotes eight rooms on a vacation resort with a cottage in the woods. Interestingly, two suites are in a lighthouse building; the Nautical Suite is on the first level, and the Moonraker Suite is on the second level of the lighthouse.
- Terra Cottages, 969 Cottage Rd. Gills Rock, promotes “simply Door County” in describing its vintage two-bedroom cottages. They are nested on a property with partial Lake Michigan views and have kitchens and gas fireplaces. Travel-green certified and a short walk to the village.
Activities and dining
- Gills Rock being Gills Rock on the tip of the Door Peninsula offers abundant water activities—charter fishing, tours, swimming and more. Shoreline Scenic Cruises and Charters offers tours from Gills Rock as well as Sister Bay. The Gills Rock cruise includes a one and one-half hour to two-hour excursion across Death’s Door Passage. Spot lighthouses, shipwrecks, and islands and learn how ships navigated Death’s Door (from which Door County is named) back in the day. Cruises depart from the dock at Shoreline Waterfront Resort and Restaurant, 12747 Hwy. 42.
- Speaking of the Shoreline Restaurant, you will have a table with a view as you dine here. The menu features a whitefish wrap with the famous Gills Rock whitefish and whitefish chowder as well as burgers, chicken dishes, and many other options.
Fresh brush strokes for Jacksonville Summer 2016
- The Open Door Bird Sanctuary is open in 2016 for its first spring and summer season. This nature center, devoted to wild bird education, launched in fall 2015 at 4114 Cty. Rd., I in Jacksonport. Here, there are 34 acres (admission charged) for people to learn about and view birds such as the Harris’s Hawk, Northern Cardinal, Barn Owl, Turkey Vulture, Eurasian Eagle Owl, and the Red-Tailed Hawk.
- Congratulations to Wence and Sandra Martinez, owners of Martinez Studio, Jacksonport. The pair was recognized with a silver award for overall excellence by the 2016 Smithsonian Craft Show held in the spring. Wence is a master tribal weaver, and Sandra is a painter.
- Jacksonport Craft Cottage was sold in 2015 and is now under new ownership of Amy and John Burris, who relocated from Wisconsin Rapids. Former owners Joe and Sue Jarosh reportedly retired and moved to another Door County locale.
- Jacksonport recently restored the old root cellar, a sort of underground refrigerator, located in the Erskine rest area on the southwest corner of Hwy. 57 and Cty. Rd. V. This area was the site for the Eureka House, an early hotel and post office in Jacksonport. The root cellar is open during public events and once kept vegetables, cheese and milk cold for the hotel.
- JJ's of Jacksonport rocks! Great food and drinks and fun atmosphere!
Fresh brush strokes, Sister Bay, Summer 2016
Resorts, inns and B&B news
- The Inn on Maple has new owners and is now called Roots Kitchen and Inn.
- Get updated on the Country House Resort, 2468 Sunnyside Rd., by watching the video and reading the review at http://www.doorcountynavigator.com/country-house-resort
- Also, check out the review and video of Church Hill Inn, 2392 S. Bay Shore Dr., which takes on a very English theme in a convenient location http://www.doorcountynavigator.com/church-hill-inn
- Still another idea for accommodations is Birchwood Lodge, run by a great team and located at 337 Hwy. 57. The video and review gives you an update at http://www.doorcountynavigator.com/birchwood-lodge
- So many resorts, hotels, and B&Bs in Sister Bay. Connect to DoorCountyNavigator.com for Sister Bay places to stay and “be in the know before you go and when you get there.”™ http://www.doorcountynavigator.com/inns-places-to-stay/all-lodging-types-by-town/all-lodging-in-sister-bay
New restaurants and eateries on the move
- Klaud’s is a destination eatery (with outdoor seating) serving breakfast and lunch at 2398 Country Walk Dr.
- Lure is a new restaurant, 10627 N. Bay Shore Dr., featuring locally sourced fish, prime meats, handcrafted cocktails, and more.
- Grasse’s Grill, 10663 N. Bay Shore Dr., opened where Door Deli used to be located.
- Chop, 10571 Country Walk Ln., offers steak, seafood and wine and is located where Pasta Vino was before it moved to Maxwelton Braes in Baileys Harbor.
- The Boathouse is the restaurant in the building located at 10716 N. Bay Shore Drive that once housed Inn at Kristofer’s.
- The Waterfront, 10961 Hwy. 42, offers gourmet meals overlooking the water of course. Tell JJ and Kris we sent you.
- At Door County Creamery, 10653 N. Bay Shore Dr., they make cheese from goat’s milk and offer fabulous sandwiches, ice cream, yogurt, and more.
- Funky Cookie Studio is a new business selling handmade, hand-rolled and hand-cut cookies that are also artfully decorated. The location at 10590 Country Walk Drive, is also home to FlourGirl Patissier.
- Mission Grille has closed its Sister Bay location, according to their Web site.
Shops on the move and new
- Ecology (formerly Ecology Sports) has a new location at 10740 Bay Shore Dr., Sister Bay. Base Camp Coffee Bar continues to serve customers from the Old Town Hall.
- Silver Birch, promoting “gifts for you and your home” had a grand opening in Sister Bay, 2428 Bay Shore Drive.
- Spot opened in April in downtown Sister Bay at 10647 N. Bay Shore Drive. Featured are clothes, shoes, jewelry, handbags, and more.
- Bay Art Gallery, 2477 Hwy. 42
- Coventry Gallery, 10547 Koessl Lane
- RigoniWorks Art Gallery, 2350 Maple Drive
- Waters Gallery, 2263 Water’s End Rd.
- Sail Door County, at the Sister Bay Marina, a few years ago has added a 63 foot Schooner to its fleet. The Edith M. Becker is an awesome boat.
- Scandia Village has opened an expanded assisted living and new rehabilitative therapy center.
- Door 2 Door Rides now serves northern Door with a taxi service; the number to call is 888/337-9485.
- Sister Bay’s Bay Shore Drive Reconstructive project is expected to show in 2016: new concrete paving, decorating street lighting, wayfinding signage, widened sidewalks, bicycle accommodations, and increased storm sewer management capacity. Other recent projects include a reconstruction of the Sister Bay beach and a new sledding hill near the sports complex.
- Have you check out Waterfront Park? It runs from the Mill Road area around the Sister Bay Yacht Club north more than 1,800 feet up to the area around Scandia Road, according to the Sister Bay Village Web site.
Fresh brush strokes, Sturgeon Bay, Summer 2016
- Door County Yoga is a new yoga studio in Sturgeon Bay. It started offering classes June 2, 2016 at 143 N. Fourth Ave.
- The Bayview Bridge had a $3.6 million repair, just in time for reopening by the July 4th 2016 weekend.
- The Healthy Way Market opened in its new location 142 Third Ave. in early June. This is the former location of Sturgeon Bay florist.
- Door County Maritime Museum has announced a new Tug John Purves, a replica of the restored 149-foot tub. It’s actually a parade float to help draw attention to the museum’s exhibit. The museum also announced a planned expansion with an 11-story Maritime Tower addition.
- Bungalow By the Bay is a home furnishings and accessories store at 144 N. Third Ave.
- Jefferson Street Books is open at 616 Jefferson St.
- Palmer Johnson Yachts announced it closed its yacht-building business in Sturgeon Bay and moved operations to Europe.
- The Sturgeon Bay Skatepark, Green Bay Road and Spruce Street, opened in Spring 2015.
- Cutters Cove hair salon, located in Cherry Point Mall, closed in 2015.
- Bellin Health purchased the Dollar General property, 311 N. Third Ave., and is using it as a primary care site for Bay Shipbuilding staff.
Resorts and inns making news
Don’t forget! Sturgeon Bay is on the water. So, many resorts offer water views and so much more.
- Consider, for example, Westwood Shores Waterfront Resort, Bridgeport Waterfront Resort (which also has an indoor waterpark with a five-foot slide, 14-foot lighthouse replica and more); and Bay Shore Inn, which promotes year-round packages like massage packages and dining packages. Also check Stone Harbor Resort & Confernece Center and Wave Point Marina & Resort
- If you prefer a rural ambiance, consider Chanticleer Guest House and its suites in a wonderfully transformed 19th century farmhouse. Or, guests may choose cabins with views of a pond.
- Meanwhile, in town, B&B options include Inn at Cedar Crossing, the White Lace Inn, and the Reynolds House—each with a historical flavor and walk to dining, shopping, and activities location.
Restaurants in the news
- Crate is a new restaurant at 136 N. Third Ave., promoting sushi and seafood.
- The Door County Fire Company announced it is open for lunch and dinner at 38 S. Third Ave.
- Pizza Hut moved from its former location to a new location on the same street: 1121 Egg Harbor Rd.
- Kick Coffee, 148 N. Third Ave. is in new hands: Liz Gilbert is the owner and formerly worked at the café.
- Sonny’s Pizzeria relocated in 2015 to 129 N. Madison Ave. (former Applebee’s); the name has changed to Sonny’s Italian Kitchen and Pizzeria.
- Holey Cow offers doughnuts and ice cream and is located on the lower level of Sonny’s Italian Kitchen and Pizzeria, 129 N. Madison.
- Lola’s Bakery & Restaurant opened at 306 S. Third Ave.
Did you know: Sturgeon Bay a place for water adventures, more sports
- Sturgeon Bay is a place for diverse activities on water as well as land. Hooked up Sport Fishing Charters offers excursions for salmon and trout on Lake Michigan and bass or walleye on Green Bay.
- Also Kurtz Corral makes year-round riding accessible to travelers and residents. People can enjoy equestrian riding no matter whether they are new or experienced with horses.
- BayShore Outfitters has a Sturgeon Bay location, conveniently offering travelers kayak tours, as cross country ski equipment and more for rent.
Sturgeon Bay is a shopper’s paradise with shops in convenient walking distance. Just park the car and pop in Third Avenue shops such as:
- Dancing Bear; it has a wide selection of toys in this circa 1880s building. Don’t miss the “little luxuries” room with body care products and more for all ages.
- Wilkins & Olander announced new arrivals including Karen Kane tops, dresses, and more. Also, Tribal clothing, Vera Bradley handbags, Dansko shoes are among the brands here.
- Take a dessert break at Door County Confectionery, where you may see them making chocolate and more. Also, Door County Candy has gourmet popcorn, fudge, and candy for sale.
- You never know what you may find at Door Country Traders, a shop offering vintage merchandise and antiques.
- Door County Rubber Stamps & Scrapbooking Company is open on Jefferson Street, and they announced thousands of rubber stamps are made in-hose. This includes a new seagull rubber stamp collection. The business closed its Egg Harbor location earlier this year.
Galleries and art news
- This year’s Sturgeon Bay Street Art Project has new subject matter: Benches instead of sturgeons. The new project is titled Benches by the Bay, and the arty benches can be seen all around town before they are auctioned off after the Harvest Festival in September.
- Margaret Lockwood Gallery is open at 7 South Second Ave. The artist formerly owned and displayed her work at Woodwalk Gallery in Egg Harbor (it has new owners).
- Peninsula Jeweler is open at 125 N. Third Ave.
- Sourced is a new Sturgeon Bay gallery located in the space formerly occupied by Greco Gallery at 24 N. Third Ave. Sourced reportedly sells handmade, found and recycled objects for home interiors (lights, furniture, and more) created by its owner, Katie Starr.
- Audrey M. Off, owner of AMO Gallery and Framery, 40 N. Third Ave., shows her own art and operates a custom framing service, too.
Fresh Brush Strokes, Washington Island, Summer 2016
Washington, a bird paradise
- Lots of birds flying here! The town of Washington became the 97th member of Bird City, Wis., during a June 2016 ceremony.
Washington Island lavender
- Did you know that acres and acres of lavender are being grown on Washington Island? Since 2013, the Island Lavender Company, 1309 Range Line Rd., has been harvesting lavender and making lavender products for display and sale. Here, they cultivate lavender in June and July. Then, in specialty artisan kitchens and artisan workshops, exquisite lavender gifts and products are made. People can shop for skin care and home products such as bath salts, soaps, body oils, aromatherapy, essential oils, and more.
Activities abound on Island
- Washington Island is a great place to participate in activities. Its scenic attractions and pace make for wonderful tours such as those by Segway the Door Tours. The company offers guided five-hour tours on Washington Island that include a round trip to the island on the Washington Island ferry, a choice of boxed lunch, a Segway PT lesson, and a glide across the island. Organizers say you’ll see Schoolhouse Beach and more attractions. Tours depart 9:30 a.m. daily.
- Shoreline Charters Scenic Cruses & Boat Rides has boats that depart from Washington Island. You can choose a tour or charter a boat for your own private excursion.
- At the Double K-W Ostrich Farm, people can see huge ostriches, ostrich eggs, sheep, turkey and more.
- The Sievers School of Fiber Arts offers a wide variety of classes in 2016. The main categories include basketry/furnishings, beading/stitchery/wearables, book/paper arts, weaving, dye//knit/spin, and quilting.
UPDATES ON DOORCOUNTYNAVIGATOR.COM
- New, easier to use interface for Lodging, Dining, Activities, Shopping and more!
- Download our new Mobile App: Door County On the Go(tm) by DoorCountyNavigator.com - awesome app and people are lvoving it - have all the info you need wherever you are! We will make your Door County trip the best it can be!If you are in Chicago (proper) and have Comcast or RCN, watch our new show, "A Peek Inside the Door(tm)" on every Monday at 3:30pm, Tuesdays and Thursdays at 7:30pm! Exciting!
- Find Me A Room(tm) program was launched in July 2011 - is a hit! We will help you find a room and do the best we can to match your needs with what our lodging partners offer!On our Homepage, see Things to Do in Door County this Week! Makes it easier to get what's happening at a glance!
- Follow us on Twitter! Get new info regularly by following us on Twitter! Click here!
- Join our Facebook page and join in the conversations. Overe 16,500 fans already!
- DoorCountyNavigator.com was voted “Best Of” by Door County Magazine readers making us the # 1 Independent Door County website!
- Giveaways continue throughout the year! Watch for them monthly!
At DoorCountyNavigator.com, we are in our 17th year already, and we are in our 10th year already of our acquisition and revamping of www.DoorCountyDining.com – a website of Door County restaurants and food-related businesses, with an extensive "Menu, Please!” section where you can view menus of some of Door County’s finest restaurants – all online! And this website is being enhanced in Spring/Summer 2016. In addition, we have our tangent sites, Door-County-Camping.com and our newest addition, DoorCountyRentalsByOwner.com - a list of homes, cabins, cottages and condos to rent.
We will continue to review new places to eat, activities, inns, shops and more – so bookmark us, add us to your Favorites and come back often!
And please tell your friends about our site – why not send 5 of your friends a link to our site so that they can enjoy all the information we have? Thanks!
See you in Door County!